Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Movies Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing Depth of Processing

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

IPod Shuffle Gen3 - Volume Control Work Around

The iPod fix of wrapping the controller in Teflon tape did not work, though I can't say why. It really should have. 

Chris Peters (don't know if that is his real name) from Apple called me, which is pretty remarkable for a Tech Support guy. Anyway. He said runners are having problems with sweat getting the controller and preventing good volume control. 

First of all, it is good to be in a class with elite jocks like these with sweaty enough shoulders to foul their iPods. I mean what else is there to aspire to now?


Second, there were two workarounds. First is to make a little loop on the cord to hold the controller up higher so it does not contact the shoulder. I use a little piece of tape. 

Third, you can set the maximium volume using the software -- at the bottom of the summary page. At the same time, click "Enable Sound Check" this will make different songs have about the same volume --important if you are going to go running without volume control. 

4 comments:

  1. I wrapped my shuffle's earphone controls with teflon tape and it worked! I made sure the wrap was tight and started a good inch up the cord before the volume controls, wrapped it losely, but overlapped tight around the control surface, and extended the wrap about a half inch before wrapping upwards again then tied it off again, about one inch above the control itself. I usually experiance the controls being unresponsive after a 15 min run on the treadmill, but today it was fine. Even during the post workout cool down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's wrong with this picture?! You pay for a piece of "advanced" electronics and you have to wrap it with tape so that you can hear it?! I really enjoy the new IPOD Shuffle, but it really bugs me that I have to use the earphones that came with it to turn it off & on and bring the volume up and then because they don't fit at all I have to switch to another set to listen. POOR design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate the new i pod shuffle because you can not move anything at all and it is too damn SMALL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see the Apple's newest design brings the click-wheel back. It looks like 2 versions ago.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?