Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing Depth of Processing: Movies Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing: Food and Wine Depth of Processing Depth of Processing

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Red Eye Flight and Me

The Red Eye flight, or a night flight from the west coast to the east, is dreaded by some, but it fits my temperament.

Last night I flew home from California, and ended up at work by nine. So I feel a little stretched today, but not sleepy -- not yet.

I would much rather fly home after my business meeting than spend the night in some hotel, and waste the daylight on the plane.

Of course, this means the dreaded sleeping on the plane. I have all the tools, the blindfold, the inflatable neck rest (better than the stuffed ones), earplugs. The watery airline wine helps me sleep too.

The defining experience of the night flight is half-awake, half-asleep, nether-world experience ... especially listening to sleepy music on the iPod.

When you get to the new city, its not clear what day it should be. The Red Eye is a disruption of the diurnal cycle. It seems like it should still be late at night, but its light and time for breakfast.

Today when I got home, I was still sleepy. Maybe I slept two hours. I took a taxi because I was too tired to drive, and then I napped a while before going to work.

Good to be gone, good to be back too.

1 comment:

  1. When I'm on a long flight home, I am thankful I'm not traveling by horse or covered wagon. I think the half sleep/half awake state is a coping mechanism to keep from dying of boredom.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?